Puttenham is a village in Surrey, England, just south of the Hog's Back which is the chalk ridge of the North Downs. Puttenham is to the south of the A31 which runs between Guildford and Farnham.
Villages nearby include Wanborough, Shackleford and Compton.
Puttenham lies on the dividing line between the chalk downs to the north and greensand to the south. To the west of the village is Puttenham Common.
Puttenham was referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086 and was called Reddesolham. Its domesday assets were owned by the Bishop of Bayeux. Its domesday assets were: 1 plough, 2 acres (8,100 m2) of meadow, woodland worth 4 hogs. It rendered £2.
The houses of Puttenham mainly line the road 'The Street' that runs through it from west to east.
The Good Intent Public House
The village has a public house 'The Good Intent' which is popular with walkers as the village lies on the North Downs Way.
The Good Intent was first mentioned in the 1861 census, but the building has earlier origins.
The Good Intent Public House is a Traditional English Pub, offering a fine selection of real ales and pub food. The pub is both child-friendly and dog-friendly.
St John the Baptist church
St John the Baptist church is towards the eastern end of the village. This church was built in several stages. The oldest part is late Saxon; in 1160, Norman pillars were built.
In the 13th century, the Lady Chapel was added and in the 15th century the tower was added. In the 18th century it was destroyed by fire but was restored in the 20th century.
Puttenham Priory is a large house at the eastern end of the village. The original house dates from 1266. It was extended 1730 and again in 1762 by Thomas Parker, who added the Palladian front.
Puttenham Golf Club
Puttenham Golf Club is a private members club and is one of the oldest Golf Clubs in Surrey, founded in 1894 by a group of Army Officers, Charterhouse School Masters and local businessmen. The course occupies land on Puttenham Heath and measures 6,220 yards (5,690 m) with a par of 71 from the white tees.
The course is a mixture of heath and woodland, the tree-lined fairways provide a particularly splendid backcloth of colour for the attractive sections of heather and many types of wild flowers.